Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Smart Vishukkaineettam

Since 'Vishu' seems to be the hottest topic among bloggers, I also should drop in a few lines.

"Konnappo kittunnilla, nee valla manjappoovum medichu kani vakku" (The yellow flower for the ritual is not available and you adjust with some other yellow flower.)

When my Uncle told me that, all the excitement for Vishu went off. Then I consoled the Malayalee in me saying that Vishu in Kerala and Vishu in Delhi should differ in some way....

We went to flower shops to get some other yellow flowers and got something which was not so fresh though. I arranged Kani remembering those eventful Vishu eves at my place in Kerala.

At 5' in the morning, when the telephone bell woke me up, I realized two things.

- Ooops !!! I did not hear my alarm. (It rang at 4')
- And, the painful fact, it is me who need to show Kani to others and my Amma is at an STD call away to wake me up on Vishu morning.

I should not think negative on a 'vishesha divasam'(special day)......

Hey, Krishna... adjust with these for the time being....Kani without 'Kanikkonna', 'Vaalkannaadi' (Metal Mirror), 'Otturuli' (one big vessel made of bronze) and me infront of you with all these in my mind.

In my ancestral home, we used to have a nice 2hrs celebrations with fireworks and all on the Vishu morning. It starts from our house and ends at another Ammavan's house (uncle).

"Itni garmi main kaun patake fod denge?" The question of one of my northindian collegues came to mind.

Then it was the session of phone calls. 'Vishu aasamsakal' through STD calls. Why do these contradictory memories come to mind?

Our visits to the relatives' houses nearby with Vishu wishes and expectations for the years 'Vishukkaineettam fund.' Eventhough the Kaineettam amount we used to get does not even make a significant percentage of my salary, I miss them and the things which I used to get specially with my Vishukkaineettam collection.

Now, it is the younger ones to ask for Vishukkaineettam.

"Ok, I'll send you as money order or transfer to your account." Kaineettam (the money given to hand), through web, money order !!!!!

Login to icicibank.com> Login>Smart Money order/Funds Transfer....

And here I am celebrating a Smart Vishu with Vailoppilli reciting this poem


"Ethu thoosara lokathil pathichaalum
Ethu yantra valkritha lokathil valarnaalum
Manassilundaavatte graamathin nanmayum
manavum mamathayum, Ithiri Konnappoovum"

4 Comments:

At 5:15 AM, Blogger pophabhi said...

Excellent! And thanks for that Vailoppilli poem. I remember going through it long back - But totally forgot!! Got it back in memory - thanks to you...

 
At 10:38 PM, Blogger Dhanush | ധനുഷ് said...

Athokke Oru Nimitham Aavam. To Have your mom call up you on the day. Ammayalle Vishu Kaani Kaanikkendathu. :)

BTW wasn't that poem like this . Not sure
"Ethu Dhoosara Sankalpangalil Valarnnalum
Ethu Yanthravalkrutha Lokathil Pularnnalum
Manasilundavatte Gramathin Vishudhdhiyum
Manavum Mamathayum Ithiri Konnapoovum"

I too have put the same poem on my pintspics.blogspot.com . And guess what I posted it on the same day as this post. Seems we have only one Vishu Kavitha

 
At 12:07 AM, Blogger Lekshmi said...

@Abhi Thanks
@Dhanush, you might be right. Infact I had read it long back. I don;t agree with this, since poets like P, ONV and Vallathol could never be blind for this 'golden beauty.' Fact is we have not read any. One of the new-age poets have also written about Vishu, though I don't remember it.

 
At 7:52 AM, Blogger pophabhi said...

You've been tagged Leks.
Please check
http://pophabhi.blogspot.com/2006/04/alexis-tag.html

 

Post a Comment

<< Home